Thursday, April 16, 2009

Everything Tote


We are slowly making our way back into routine after Spring Break, so I am slowly able to get back into sewing. I have the hardest time sewing during the day. The girls are all over me as soon as they see me sit down at the sewing machine. They know. That is okay though. My job is to be their mamma, and nothing is more important than that.

I got to make an Everything Tote from Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing. Wow. This is a HUGE bag. It really can carry everything. I used some Wonderland fabric by MoMo in twill for the outside, and I just think it is so pretty. I love the feel of the twill. The inside is just a light green cotton.

Regarding the pattern...
Things I liked: I love the shape and overall design, and it was pretty easy to put together.

Disliked: I did not understand her instructions about the binding at all. They didn't make any sense, and I just ended up doing it my own way. I accidentally put the handles on wrong too. Bother. I am not about to rip it all up though. They will work okay.

Changed: She has you lay the pattern on a fold, but this is a directional print (so one side would end up upside down) so I cut them out separately and just added a 1/2" seam allowance to the bottom for when I sewed them together. I also lined the pocket on the inside because I like lined pockets.

Also, be aware she says you only need 1/2 yard in the book. Heather has changed it to 1 yard, but I think I used more like 1 1/3 yd. for this bag.

I have more pictures of this bag on my Flickr.

3 comments:

I love to hear from you! I try to reply to most comments via e-mail, so make sure to add your e-mail address if it isn't linked up (especially if you have a question!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...