Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Finish It Up Challenge- Come join In!

Earlier this year I had the great inspiration to try and finish up all my projects that I have left unfinished (aka WIPs).  I did great up to a point, but I lost steam and got distracted *gasp*!  However, now my half finished pile has grown once more, and I am determined this summer to get most of these finished up!  

I find it is always better when you have friends supporting and encouraging each other along.  So, I thought I would issue a summer challenge to anyone with some sewing projects that need to be taken care of!  From now until August 15th lets work on getting these once beloved projects their finishing touches!
  • First, gather all your WIPs and take a count!  A WIP is anything that has at least been cut into.  It could be a quilt, clothing, home decor, or accessory item!  If it is just fabric and a pattern, it isn't a WIP yet!
  • Decide what needs to be done to get them finished.  Maybe that queen sized quilt top should be sent to a long arm quilter?  That dress you were sure was going to be so cute but wasn't...maybe it is time to make it a skirt or at least save what fabric you can!  Some quilt blocks can be donated...find a charity!  Your windows are still rather bare because the curtains you started three months ago are languishing in a dark corner.
  • Come join in and leave a comment letting me know what your plans are and join the Flickr group to share pictures and lend support!
  • Commit to spending at least once a week working on one of these projects!  I am not going to say that you shouldn't start anything new because sometimes inspiration strikes, and well...two months is a long time!  This is just supposed to be fun and help clear out some of those skeletons in the closet.






  • So grab a button and come back this Friday for a linky party!  I will be sharing all my WIPs, and I would love to see what you are planning on working on as well!

    25 comments:

    1. Great idea! Ok, you all are going to hate me, but I can't participate because I don't have any WIP that I am not actively working on. Obviously, I need to start some new projects!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Well, I'm joining in for sure! My plan was to finish WIP anyway, but I am going to adjust my plan to finish all quilts to get to the finished "quilt top" stage. My plan is to get a long arm in the fall so I don't want to quilt until then. I will have to do a count, but it is a lot!!! Good idea and I need the support as I get easily distracted.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks so much for the invite but I don't have any WIP's. I finished all of mine the first the year and am sticking to not having any EVER again.hahaha.h.a.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I have two Schnibbles flimsies, the last block for a BOM plus putting it together AND 19 more blocks for my Single Girl. Yes, that's too many WIP's!! I'm in.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Ok, ridiculously irritated by those with not WIPs! :) Really? My life is a series of WIPs! Definitely joining - I have a couple of quilt tops from bees that need to be pieced together (maybe sent out to be quilted, we'll see), some bee blocks I'm behind in, about 5 little girl dresses cut out to be made, a super complicated purse to be made ... yeah, it's bad over here! Stealing a button now and sheepishly backing out of the room...

      ReplyDelete
    6. I'm laughing because I have an adorable Oliver + S 2 + 2 blouse cut out in a size 5... my daughter is now a size 7! Have no fear, there are many other WIP's that could use some attention and actually get worn.

      ReplyDelete
    7. i don't think you know just how badly i need this!! i was just telling myself last week that i can't cut new patterns until the WIPs are done!! i'm in!!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Great idea! I think this is something I really need to do but I need to mull it over to make sure I can commit. I don't want to be gungho the first week then disappear the rest of summer. I would love to be like some of the posters above and not have any WIPs. That would be lovely. I feel like I could attain that goal with just a bit of focus though. My WIP count is currently 11. It was 10 less than a week ago but then I couldn't stop from starting something new. Ha.

      ReplyDelete
    9. So I am not sure if I wish I could participate in this or not...lol. I have loads of fabric stacks that I bought for specific project and just never started. I also have loads of sketches that never came to life...but I don't have a single WIP. Not one! I wish I did...that way I would have at least started the projects. Be proud of your WIP'S!! Maybe tomorrow I can spend all day starting 7 projects. :) Then I'll participate for sure! Thanks for the invite, though. Good luck you WIPper-snappers! {Oh so cheesy!}

      ReplyDelete
    10. Oh goodness, I'm sure you are talking directly to me! I have that large quilt to send to a longarm quilting service; my windows are bare although I have the fabric to make blinds for them and (imagine that) there are some blocks I have made and hate and my mother was telling me yesterday to donate them and forget them! Haha! I painted my studio 2 weeks ago and founds too many wips... thank you for this push! I will finish them!!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Love this idea! I definitely need a little push like this to get some of mine done! :)

      ReplyDelete
    12. Why yes, I do need to finish a thing or two!

      ReplyDelete
    13. ooo I have a lot started and needing to be finished!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Okay, I'm in. I'm trying to think if I actually have more than one thing cut out. I have plenty of fabric ready to go though. And let's not mention knitting WIPs, I do have several there. Erf, I do have a size 5 shirt cut out for my 8yo. Hmmm. I wonder if little sis would wear it.

      ReplyDelete
    15. Oh I am so in! Especially since I am off for most of the summer and can really get down to it. I Have 4 quilts on the go and a pillow top to finish!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Just noticing this today but going to try & join in!

      ReplyDelete
    17. Okay, you've reminded me of several things in my WIP drawer that I should pay some attention too. No guarantee that I'll get any of them finished, but I'll give it a try! :)

      ReplyDelete
    18. I've been reading your blog for almost exactly one year now (kinda-blogiversary? LOL) and I'm ready to jump on board with your WIP challenge! I'll be posting shortly over on my blog and joining your flickr group! Thanks for all the inspiration!

      ReplyDelete
    19. This is great! I've really been aching to finish up all of my projects I have lying around. Once I saw this I started thinking about all of the projects I've forgotten about and realized how embarrassingly large my list of WIP's is going to be. :) Oh well, maybe it will be just what I need to get them finished! :)

      ReplyDelete
    20. I think I need to join in this. The support would be great!

      ReplyDelete
    21. I will definitely join in! I've been on a mission to finish up several favorite WIPs, and a support group will definitely help! Thank you.

      ReplyDelete
    22. wow not sure I could even count all mine it is a great idea... :) x

      ReplyDelete
    23. I just saw this invite and definitely need to join! So many to choose from!

      ReplyDelete
    24. what a great idea! I'm going to be gone most of July, but I want to get some things finished up this summer. I actually have a 2 year old quilt top that I am taking with me to quilt on my aunt's long arm! yeah!

      ReplyDelete

    I love to hear from you! I try to reply to most comments via e-mail, so make sure to add your e-mail address if it isn't linked up (especially if you have a question!)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...